February 16, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes
Sheridan Township Board of Trustees Meeting
February 16, 2021
I. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Richard Porter at 7:00 pm.
Pledge: The pledge was led by Randy Fisher
Present: Roll call: Randy Fisher, Scott Frederick, Hayley England, Stephanie Craig, and Richard Porter.
Audience: Lance Lohrke, Tyler Collins, Gary Tompkins
II. Approval of Agenda: A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the agenda as written. All in favor, the motion passed.
III. Approval of previous Township Board Minutes: A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the January 19th meeting minutes. All in favor, the motion passed.
IV. Payment of Bills: A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to pay the bills. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
V. Treasurers Report: Randy asks about when we will receive the property tax. A motion was made by Randy 2nd by Scott to accept the treasurers report as presented. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
1. Elan City Inc., signs. They have signs for $4400 to put on the building. This is just for our information.
2. Shipsterns Project. Pine Gate will be meeting with us tomorrow. They have roughly 300 acres on the east side of 28 Mile Rd; there is a site plan in the packet. We received a check from Pine Gate yesterday (2/15/2021) for their escrow account. They would like to start construction in July at the latest.
VII. Committee Reports
1. Planning Commission/Roads – Scott Frederick. They held a meeting this month. The only thing they went over was the Ordinance for Savion to raise the height of the utility poles. The Road Department wants to put 13 miles of our roads back to gravel but we will not agree to that. It is suggested that the Calhoun County supervisors have at least a quarterly meeting so that all the townships can be on the same page.
2. Fire – Chief Lance Lohrke. See the attached report for the calls for January. Training was cancelled for January due to Covid-19. Chief Lance applied for some grants this month, one of them being a grant to replace the tanker truck. The truck would cost us 5% of the original price of the truck. Other grants he applied for would get us new hoses, replace air packs, and replace all the radios. Chief Lance and Dick Porter met with the City and they agree that something needs to be done to help cover our mutual aid cost. There will be more discussions to come on the subject. Chief takes time to explain our mutual aid agreements.
VIII. Public Comment: Gary Tompkins. Gary talks about the committee appointments they had at their last meeting, and the committees that he is serving on. He talks about the social isolation subcommittee. He speaks about the Covid-19 vaccine and the positivity rate in Calhoun County. He touches on the illegal dumping issue, and a meeting that they held on the subject. He is working to get a handle on this issue. He is going to present it to the Solid Waste Management committee. He also goes over the bridge issues in Calhoun County.
IX. Unfinished Business: None
X. New Business
1. Present 2021-2022 Budget for review before March Board Meeting. Dick introduces the budget for 2021-22. Randy goes over and asks questions on the budget. Discussion ensued about the figures in the budget. We will need to refigure so we can get a balanced budget for the March meeting.
2. Resolution 2021-01, Allow for Consumers Energy to make changes in our standard lighting contract for new lighting on corner of 28 Mile and C Drive North. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept Resolution 2021-01 to allow Consumers Energy to make changes in our standard lighting contract for new lighting on corner of 28 Mile and C Drive North. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
3. Resolution 2021-02 Confirm the firm of Fleis and VandenBrink as our engineering company on record for use by our township. The solar companies want proof that we are using Fleis and VandenBrink. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept Resolution 2021-02 to confirm the firm of Fleis and VandenBrink as our engineering company on record for use by our township. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
XI. Adjourn: A motion was made by Scott 2nd by Randy to adjourn at 8:20 pm. All in favor, the motion passed.
Stephanie Craig, Secretary