Sheridan Township Board of Trustees Meeting
November 17, 2020
I. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Richard Porter at 7:01pm.
The pledge was led by Richard porter
Present: Roll call: Scott Frederick, Sheridan Township, Randy Fisher, Sheridan Township, Richard Porter, Sheridan Township, Hayley England Sheridan Township, Janet Cuatt, Sheridan Township. All board members are attending remotely due to Covid-19.
Absent: Stephanie Craig, Sheridan Township
Audience: Harold Badger, Gary Tompkins, Brien Heckman, Sean Harris, Lance Lohrke, Sara Mills, Craig Hammond, Scott Mclane, Rick Offerson, Attorney for Ranger Power.
II. Approval of Agenda: Supplemental agenda to add the following items: 4.) PA 116 Burkwall Property, 5.) New Website for the Township, 6.) ZBA Board, 7.) Bryan Powers as temporary Building Inspector, 8.) Memorial Fund for Ken Power’s Grandchildren. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the agenda with the additions. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
III. Approval of previous Township Minutes: Randy identified corrections needed, Item 4 approved PA198 not #160. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the minutes for the October 20th meeting. Roll call vote; all in favor.
IV. Payment of Bills: Credit back – Richard. We overpaid the county for the chip and seal and have a refund coming. A motion was made by Scott, 2nd by Randy to pay the bills. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
V. Treasurers Report: Investment Report – Hayley. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the treasurers report as presented. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed. Randy asks about the fire department budget revenue and why it is not on the budget; his question is answered by Richard.
1. ZBA Variance Request from Savion for Tower height. Need a replacement for Scott Fredrick.
2. Savion Evil DEQ Have started paperwork
VII. Committee Reports:
1. Planning Commission/Roads – Scott Frederick. There have been no Planning Commission/Road meetings since the last Township Board meeting. No updates.
2. Fire – Chief Lance Lohrke. See the attached report for the calls for October. Chief Lance goes over his report. They received a grant for Water Rescue Equipment, which will be helpful for rescues like they performed last spring. The new truck will be ready soon. Chief Lance talked to the officers about selling the 1995 Brush Truck, space is limited in the fire barn and they will no longer be using it. College Chevrolet valued the truck at around $4,700. Chief Lance will confirm the truck value. Discussion followed on how to sell it. Only the truck will be sold, keeping the additional hardware to use on the plow truck. A motion was made by Scott, 2nd by Randy to sell the 1995 brush truck for no less than what the confirmed value from College Chevrolet is. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
VIII. Public Comment. Gary Tompkins – Gary is humbled, honored, privileged to continue serving. 911 Surcharge was defeated, heard the voters loud and clear. He reviewed mileages across the county.
IX. Unfinished Business. None
X. New Business
1. Audit Report for year ending March 31, 2020 by Scott Mclane of Markkowski and Company. Scott reviewed key pages of the audit report, explaining each of the reports and noted it was a successful audit, noting good standing due to decisions made. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the audit report. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
2. Public Hearing on agreement with Ranger Power, River Forks solar Project, to exempt the collection of ad valorem property taxes on all new personal property pursuant PA Act 328. The board has been discussing this topic for months. Letters were mailed to property owners. The meeting was opened for any additional discussions, there was none. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to approve to exempt collection of ad valorem property taxes on all new person property pursuant PA ACT 328. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
3. Adopt Resolution 2020-12 with Ranger Power pursuant Act 328 – Brian. There are a few changes in the resolution regarding remote meeting information. Sean asked if there were any questions, and thanked the board. Craig asked that the necessary board membership sign the application (p25), certify and mail as soon as possible. Also email package to Brian Heckman. Dick and Janet to make the necessary arrangements. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept Resolution 2020-12 Ranger Power PA 328. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
4. PA 116 Burkwall Property – Richard. We recently did the same thing for the Weaver Property on #13251, 123, 128, 122 acres. E DR N. This is not removing property from PA116, it puts it on hold for the remaining years. Resumes once project is decommissioned. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the motion of Thomas Burkwall property PA116. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
5. New Township Website – Richard. IT Right has managed the website in the past, but over Labor Day changed the support. Since the change, the web site is problematic, difficult to use, and embarrassing, so have been looking into other providers. With ongoing requirements for remote/virtual solutions, a good website is critical. Core PHP out of Battle Creek and has Global accounts provide a quote that considerably higher than expected. The second provider, New Age LLC, also out of Battle Creek, provided a quote much more in line with our budget, and proposes having the new web site up and running by January. New Age LLC provided his work on the Grand Rapids Township as an example of what he can do. New Age requested half down, and half once the project is completed. A motion was made by Scott, 2nd by Haley to hire New Age LLC to create the townships new website. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
6. ZBA Board – Richard. Bring Jim Hunt on board. He has knowledge of zoning ordinances. Shouldn’t be high demand, so won’t interfere with his retirement.
7. Bryan Powers as Temporary Building Inspector – Richard. Sadly, we suddenly lost Ken Powers last week. His son Bryan has filled in for Ken over the years as needed, and will continue to perform as Building Inspector for our township until we make other arrangements. A motion was made by Scott, 2nd by Hayley to accept Bryan Powers as temporary Building Inspector. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
8. Memorial Fund for Ken Powers Grandchildren. Richard asked the board about donating money in honor of Ken Powers to the fund for his grandchildren’s college. The board did a similar donation in memory of Wes Cuatt’s passing by donating to the K9 program. A motion was made by Scott, 2nd by Hayley to donate $100.00 to Ken Powers grandchildren’s college fund. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
9. No scheduled meeting in December. Next scheduled meeting is January 20, 2021.
XI. Adjourn: A motion was made to adjourn by Scott, 2nd by Hayley at 8:04pm. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
Janet Cuatt, Secretary (Deputy Clerk)