Sheridan Township Board of Trustees Meeting
September 21, 2021
I. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Richard Porter at 7:00 pm.
The Pledge was led by Lance Lohrke
Present: Randy Fisher, Scott Frederick, Stephanie Craig, and Richard Porter.
Absent: Hayley England
Audience: Rick Offerson, Gary Tompkins, Bark Frederick, Scott McLane, Lance Waito, Lance Lohrke, Doug Pollman
II. Approval of Agenda: Clerk Stephanie Craig would like to add an item to the new business section. A budget adjustment request for the Water Rescue Grant funds received by the Fire Department. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the agenda as amended. All in favor. The motion passed.
III. Approval of previous Township Board Minutes: Randy noted a correction in the August 17th meeting minutes. Instead of reading “road commission,” the minutes should read “Calhoun County Commissioners meeting.” A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the August 17th meeting minutes with this correction. All in favor. The motion passed. A motion was made by Scott, 2nd by Randy to accept the August 31st meeting minutes as presented. All in favor. The motion passed.
IV. Payment of Bills: A motion was made by Randy, 2nd Scott by to approve the payment of the bills. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
V. Treasurers Report: Scott asks about the money that is left over from the C-Drive assessment, and where it came from. Scott McLane responds that that money probably came from the general fund. Richard states that he will look into this question. A motion was made by Scott, 2nd by Randy to accept the treasurers report as presented. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
VI. Correspondence: Principals of governance from the Michigan Township Association. Richard goes over the principals expected of members of the Township Board. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to approve these principals of government here in Sheridan Township.
Richard also shares a reminder of the meeting on September 28th for MTA at 10:00.
VII. Committee Reports:
1. Planning Commission/Roads – Scott Frederick. Scott will defer to Gary for an update on the roads. The Planning Commission has started working on the ordinances, and is making progress.
2. Fire – Chief Lance Lohrke. See the attached report for the calls in August. Chief Lance goes over the August calls. Training for August was touring Andersons. On September 8th the cab of engine 16 burned while it was in the station, parked. Chief is working with the insurance company to get the truck repaired or replaced. The insurance investigator is not sure what started the fire.
VIII. Public Comment: Gary Tompkins: Broadband taskforce met in September and is looking to provide the entire county with internet without affecting the taxpayers. Gary goes over the newsletter. He talks about Act 51’s financial reporting by township. Sheridan township contributed 217000. Gary also goes over the 9-year overview of what has been contributed versus spent in each Township. He gives the highlights of medical examiners’ report for 2020. Barb Frederick asks why the township’s contribution money doesn’t go into a Road Commission township fund? Gary answers that there aren’t any separate funds like that.
IX. Unfinished Business: None
X. New Business
1. Presentation of year-end audit March 31, 2021. Scott McLane goes over the year-end audit report. See the attached report for more information. Sheridan Township is debt free.
2. Presentation of quote from Fleis & Vandenbrink for updated street inventory and condition assessment. Richard goes over the previous quote a condition assessment of the roads in Sheridan Township. The new quote is actually cheaper than the last time we had this done at $4,500. Scott asks when the company can start this process. Richard states that the results should be back by early November. Randy asks if the cost of this assessment could be posted to the road millage account, since that money is earmarked for the roads. The board agrees that this might be an option. Richard will ask the bookkeeper about this option. Randy asks about payments needing to be made within 7 days. He states that this is not enough time as Sheridan Township does not write checks on a daily basis. Richard will ask the company to extend this from 7 to 30 days. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to approve the plan for Fleis & Vandenbrink to complete the street inventory and condition assessment. Roll call vote. All in favor, the motion passed.
3. Update on purchase of flag pole for City of Albion. We received money from the Parks Millage. We do not have a park in Sheridan township, and if we do not spend the money, it will go back to the County for them to spend. Sheridan Township will put a new flag pole in Victory Park. The city will pay for the installation.
4. Review Quote for township-wide trash pickup, discuss future trash options. Richard went over the quote from Walt Obrinske to do another trash pickup for the fall. Gary asks about the trail cameras. Richard is working with the company on a replacement for the camera that wasn’t working. Scott feels that we need more cameras to be able to cover more area. There is a discussion on the budget, and how all these trash pick-ups will affect it. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to approve the quote from Walt Obrinske. Roll call vote. All in favor, the motion passed.
5. Letter of leave of absence for Tom Shedd. Tom Shedd is having surgery on October 15th and will be taking a leave of absence for at least 6-8 weeks. He is planning to return if possible. In the interim Bryan Powers will be taking care of Tom’s position. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept Tom Shedd’s leave of absence. All in favor, the motion passed.
6. Review quotes for computer support. We are in need of a new IT person. Richard got 2 quotes, one from RBS and one from CCS. Richard goes over both quotes. Discussion ensues about where the money would come from, contingency or the general fund. This question will be discussed with the bookkeeper and the auditor. A motion was made by Randy 2nd by Scott to approve the proposal from RBS for network support. Roll call vote. All in favor, the motion passed.
7. Budget adjustment for the Fire Department’s water rescue grant funds. Stephanie explains that the Fire Department received a grant for Water Rescue equipment in the amount of $5,418. She is asking to increase the Equipment line item in the expenditure budget for that amount. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to increase the Fire General Fund account 206-336-768.300, equipment, by $5,418. Roll call vote. All in favor, the motion passed.
XI. Adjourn: A motion was made by Scott, 2nd by Randy to adjourn at 8:25. All in favor; the motion passed.
Stephanie Craig, Secretary