Sheridan Township Board of Trustees Meeting
August 15, 2023
I. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Richard Porter at 7:00 pm.
The pledge of allegiance to the Flag of the United States: Led by Seth Koches.
Present: Richard Porter, Scott Frederick, Hayley England, Randy Fisher, Stephanie Craig
II. Approval of Agenda: A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the agenda as presented. All in favor, the motion passed.
III. Approval of previous township board minutes. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to accept the July 18th meeting minutes as presented. All in favor, the motion passed.
IV. Payment of Bills: A motion was made by Scott, 2nd by Randy to approve the payment of bills. Roll call vote; all in favor. The motion passed.
V. Treasurers Report: A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to approve the treasurers report as presented. All in favor, the motion passed.
1. New owners of Calhoun County Solar. Richard gave an update about the new owners of Calhoun County Solar, AES.
2. Bauckham, Thall, Seeber, Kaufman, and Koches seminar. Seth Koches speaks about the seminar that will be held in September; it will include current hot-button topics.
VII. Committee Reports:
1. Planning Commission/Roads - Scott Frederick. No planning meeting has been held since the last board meeting in July, so there is no update at this time.
2. Fire - Chief Lance Lohrke. Chief Lohrke goes over his report for July. See attached. Training for July was pumping and drafting. We received the Fire Act grant that we applied for and will purchase new air packs for the department. Chief would like to hire two more part time firefighters, Leander Martin, and Braxton Masternak. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Scott to hire two new firefighters Leander Martin, and Braxton Masternak. All in favor, the motion passed. A motion was made by Richard, 2nd by Scott to allow Chief Lance to go to the MTA Emergency Issues in Emergency Services conference. All in favor, the motion passed.
VIII. Public Comment: Public comment was taken at this time. A complaint was made about the careless use of firearms on D Drive. Dave Martin will follow up on this complaint with the Sheriff. The board will do some checking to see if there is anything that can be about this situation.
IX. Unfinished Business: None
X. New Business:
1. Review/Update 425 agreement with City of Albion Seth Koches. Seth Koches updates us on the 425 agreements and explains where we are with them. Questions are asked about the transfer of the parcels to the City of Albion, how these transfers work, and how the taxes are supposed to be collected.
2. Resolution 2023-14 to withdraw from countywide transportation authority. A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Hayley to table this item until the September 19th board meeting. All in favor; the motion passed.
3. Review Fire Station plans. Randy presents the new fire station addition.
XI. Adjourn: A motion was made by Randy, 2nd by Hayley to adjourn at 8:23. All in favor, the motion passed.
Stephanie Craig, Secretary